Goat meat has a unique taste that can be complemented with flavours & spices and be adapted to your favourite lamb recipes.
However, consumers need to learn a few basic rules regarding cookery:
- Cook goat meat at low temperatures.
- Due to its low-fat content and lack of marbling (small streaks of fat found within the muscle), goat meat can lose moisture and toughen quickly if cooked at high temperatures.
- Cook goat meat with moisture.
- To enhance flavour and increase tenderness, use a marinade on the meat before cooking and continue to baste whilst cooking.
- Or cook with moist heat, such as stewing.
- Try searing the meat prior to placing in the oven.
- Take care to use foil or an oven bag & baste frequently to stop meat from drying out.
- Cook on a low heat (150-160C) for around ½ hour per 500gm.