Ingredients (serves 4)
- 500 g goat stewing meat, trimmed of all fat and sinew and cut into 2 cm (3⁄4 in) cubes
- 2 tablespoons tamarind water
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar, or more to taste
- salt to taste
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 red chillies, chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass, finely sliced
- 2 cm (3⁄4 in) piece galangal, peeled and chopped
- 2 candlenuts, roasted and smashed or raw almonds or macadamia nuts
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 6 shallots, sliced
Combine the meat, tamarind water, sugar and salt and mix well. Put the mixture into a saucepan and cook on low to medium heat until the meat is tender and dry. Add no water – the meat will exude its own juice and this will eventually cook quite dry. Let it cool.
Grind the spices to a paste. Heat the oil in a wok and fry the spices until they smell fragrant. Put in the meat and stir-fry until it is oily and well fried on the outside – this will take up to 10 minutes. Dish out on to a serving plate and serve as a side dish with special rice platters or with white rice and coconut milk dishes.